Augie Picado: The real reason manufacturing jobs are disappearing
https://www.ted.com/talks/augie_picado_the real reason manufacturing jobs are disappearing
Q1. Do you think what he says is the real reason why manufacturing jobs are disappearing?
Do you agree with his statement? If not, explain why you disagree.
Q2. What do you think are advantages and disadvantages of free trade?
Do you agree with a trade policy that restricts importation and protects local industries?
Q3. How automated is your company or your working place?
Do you think that automation will advance?
Q4. The speaker said, ‘Efficiency is the name of the game.’ Please share your example of this.
‘Why Armani?’: Parents question pricey uniforms at public school in Tokyo’s Ginza district
Q1. What images are in your mind when you hear the word ‘brand’?
Q2. Why do people wear uniforms?
Do school children need to wear uniforms?
Q3. Should the uniform reflect the image of the upscale area of Ginza?
Q4. What was your school uniform like when you were a student?
Q5. What would you do if your child was a student at the school?
Topic1:What really motivates people to be honest in business?
1.What motivates you at work?
2.Do you think fraud, committed by public corporations, is unacceptable? Please explain why.
3.What’s your protected value?
3-1.Please give and explain your protected value.
3-2.Why do you have a protected value like that?
3-3.Free discussion about protected value.
Topic2:How can groups make good decisions?
1.What situation or factor inhibits your independent thinking?
2.Are you good at making decisions in a group? Why do you think so?
3.Please share some of your experiences or skills to avoid groupthink.（If you don’t have one, please think of one now.）
4.What is most important to become wiser group? Please discuss in your “group”.
Unlocking the secrets of superbugs
*FYI: the speaker says, “Yersinia pestis bacteria,” at 3:25 in the video, which may be wrongly transcribed by the YouTube auto-caption generator.
Q1. What do you know about superbugs?
Q2. What kind of health threats do you think we are facing in addition to superbugs?
Q3. Please share what you are doing to protect yourself against infections or health threats you mentioned in Q2.
Q4. Did this TED talk change your impressions of infections, hospitals or treatments?
Are you a giver or a taker?
Q1. How narcissistic are you according to the narcissist test?
Q2. Are you more of a giver, a matcher, or a taker? Do you wish to change yourself to the other types of people?
Q3. Have you ever met a giver or a taker who strongly influenced the team for better or worse?
Q4. Are there any efforts to create a culture in which givers can succeed in the organization? What might make it easier for givers to ask for help?
ESCO TOKYO の設立のお知らせです！
日時：日曜日 午前10：30～ （初回は3/11(日) 10：30～12：00）
Topic 1 : Why I love a country that once betrayed me.
1. Would you like to live in the same place or live in different places for the rest of your life?
2. If you have to leave Japan for some reasons, which country would you like to live in as your second home?
3. Did you know about Japanese-American Unit (442 nd) ? Have you ever learned about them in school?
4. Why do you think that Japanese-American Unit had fought very well in WW2? How could they achieve these impossible missions?
5. Would you fight for another country?
6. Do you think Trump can make America even better?
Topic 2 : Lost your phone in Japan? You’ll probably get it back
1. Have you ever lost something outside the house ? Did you get it back ?
2. Have you ever picked up someone’s lost items ?
3. In many cases, lost items will be returned to its owner in Japan. Why do you think it is possible? How about in other countries? Are there any differences?
4. Can you buy things in unclaimed lost items shops ?
5. Do you know the nearest Koban from the place you live? Have you ever asked for a help in Koban?
TOPIC 1 – Lessons from The Longest Study on Human Development
1. Do you think money is important in education? Please explain why.
2. Did your family let you learn any arts or sports when you were young?
3. What do you think was the most effective educational activity your family did for you
when you were a kid?
4. How do you want to raise up your own kids in the future?
5. What does your first name mean? What kind of expectations do you think your family
had when naming you? What kind of names do you want to give to your children?
TOPIC 2 – The Mathematics of Love
1. Please discuss according to the following steps.
(A) Through a discussion in the groups each consisted of only men or women seperately,
please place the following elements of characteristics of your ideal partner in the order of
* Acceptance and Listening
(B) Please also guess the answers by the group of other sex.
(C) In the next group including both men and women, please check each other’s answer.
2. What do you think of the research report on people’s tendency of choosing a bit less
beautiful partner instead of a perfect-looking one?
3. What do you think of the idea of rejecting the first 37 percent to find your best partner?
Do you think it is reasonable or unreasonable?
4. Do you prefer the relationship with a high negativity threshold or the one with a low
5. Among your favorite TV personalities, who is the best men and who is the best women?
Please name both and explain why you think them attractive.
Topic 1:What are the causes of the generation gap?
1. What is the generation gap? When does it appear?
2. Have you ever experienced a generation gap with someone?
3. Do you have any suggestions on how to bridge the gap between generations?
4. What advice would you give to old and young people to help them get along better?
5. Are you close to anyone who is significantly older or younger than you?
Topic 2:There’s more to life than being happy
Q1.What images come to mind about happiness? If you can achieve all of them, would you be happy?
Q2.What are your reasons for living? Are they different from happiness?
Q3.Do you have any experiences to make connections with strangers or ignore others like Jonasan?
Q4.Do you tend to think your life as positive or negative?
Q5.After listening to this speech, do your ideas about happiness changed?
TOPIC1：How we see color
1. What is your favorite color and why?
2. Do you know of any meanings associated with particular colors? Elaborate.
3. Which color do you like the least? Why?
4. How would your life change if you could no longer see colors?
5. What do you think the world would be like without colors?
TOPIC2：Why school should start later for tens
1. When you were a kid, how did your parents make you get up? How about now?
2. How many hours do you want to sleep? Can you do that?
If not, why you can’t take enough time to sleep?
3. When you are sleepy, what do you do?
Do you drink coffee or do some exercises?
4. Should schools start late so children can sleep longer?
Why and why not? Please explain.
5. Can your attitude be changed by your sleeping hours?
TOPIC 1 : Can a robot pass a university entrance exam?
Q1 Do you think AI will pass the entrance examination of a top university by 2020?
Q2 Why do you think the speaker chose Tokyo University entrance examination as a benchmark of AI?
Q3 When you were a student, did you tend to just memorize the information or understand the information?
Q4 How will we coexist with AI in the future? Please share the speaker’s opinion and your opinion.
TOPIC 2 : Why pay for bottled water?
Q1 Do you agree with Natalie Fee’s opinion?
Q2 Do you think that bottled water tastes better than tap water?
Q3 Do you often buy bottled water? How about in foreign countries?
Q4 The consumption of mineral water continues to increase. In Japan where free water was commonplace in the past, what reasons are there for purchasing and drinking water?
https://www.suntory.com/softdrink/news/pr/article/SBF0557E.html (See Fig.17)
Topic1：『Why our screens makes us less happy』
- What do you think about jobs limiting his children’s use of technology. What do you think is the reason? Do you think you should be limiting your use of technology?
- What is the most important time of day for you?
- If smart phones disappeared from the world after tomorrow, what would you do instead of using them?
- How does the internet enrich and impoverish your daily life and the world economy?
Topic2：『How to see past your own perspective and find truth』
- Do you think a vast knowledge means deep understanding? (Please give an example.)
- On which topic do you have a deep understanding? How did you come to know that so well?
- What kind of topic do you want to study the most and the least now? Explain why.
- Plase share your experience about changing your perspective/values. What was your feeling then and now?